I love St. Patrick's, but yesterday we celebrated in mild form, eating Chinese food in the living room with a gaggle of our children and a few visiting friends. (One daughter, who shall remain nameless, was at an Irish Bar and I'm sure was representing me well.)
We began the day at UAB. Excuse my medical descriptions, but it's not my field. They wanted to put in some sort of port for chemo. I was thinking that meant another IV, but it was off to the OR. It's easy to give in to that sort of thing once they inject that drug into your arm. While laying there (or is it 'lying'?), they saw that the fluid was back around my lungs. So they called up Doctor Posey (our oncologist) and he said, "as long as he's just laying there, flip him over and drain him." So they did. That made 4 liters so far. That right lung is handy, and I do a good bit better when it's not squished.
OK, enough of that. I don't even like reading about it and it was my lung.
So, for now...
We're waiting for chemo to start, and they are trying to figure out how to get some sort of cork in whatever that fluid comes from.
Oh, and we did meet a second oncologist yesterday, Dr. Heslin. (We were referred to him by the Reed Foundation, thanks to RealtySouth and my broker John McGill.) He agreed that what Dr. Posey was doing was our best option to start off. So now we have a reliable second opinion.
At some point we'll have to narrate all our stories about the many people we've met at UAB so far. There are many angels, and there is a good bit of comic relief.