Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Advent Day 11


Day 11


"Reading Kathleen Norris has me thinking about my own geography- natural and spiritual.  She said that so many are turning to Native American spirituality to find something they are missing.  But that one must turn to his own heritage and ancestry to find rootedness.  It struck me because I think that is what I have done…or at least begun to do.

            My geography is green.  Not as in the new common usage of the word, but more like southeastern green.  I spent a large part of my life in California, but now when I return to the west, the brown topography, while stunning, seems foreign to me.  My landscape is green.  And humid.
            There is variation.  While all the southern places I’ve lived, from Virginia to the Alabama Gulf coast have four seasons, they vary in degree.  The winters of Virginia were stronger, the summers in Alabama more intense.  Birmingham green feels more like Virginia green than lower Alabama evergreen.  I do love the beach, but feel more at home in foothills and mountains, with rolling topography and sharper seasonal change. 
            And my landscape is not always green.  Deep summer greens give way to other colors- reds, yellows, browns.  Then all is stripped away into winter barrenness.  Winter, spring, summer, fall.  I don’t feel I can be a whole person without all these seasons.  Each one of them does something in me that shows me the way of things, and resets some inner clock." from Steve's journals