Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Advent Day 12




Day 12


           " But when I think about roots, it’s difficult to remember myself in one place.  The “Southeast”, even the state of Alabama (where I’ve been since I was 17…except for a seven year foray into Mississippi), seems too large a piece of the map to call home.  My life has actually been very nomadic.  I believe that I live in my 35th house- and I’m paying rent for it.
                  And this nomadic life is what actually brings me home to my spiritual geography.  And connects me with my roots.  This year I think I have come home to my own family.  We are a three-generation Navy family.  By the time we came to Alabama, I had been in eight schools and had moved some ten times.  We changed denominations with each move.  I was baptized by a Navy Chaplain, catechized by the United Church of Christ, confirmed a Methodist, and finished my teen years as a mainline Presbyterian.  Nomads.
                  I thought I left this all behind when I struck out on my own.  When I found a more “sure”, conservative and fiery brand of Christianity in college, I entered it whole-heartedly, and even rejected and attacked my spiritual lineage.  I dismissed my baptism, and went under the water in a swimming pool, surrounded by 100 arm raising cheerleaders.  I took on the spiritual and political outlook of evangelicalism.  And for the last 25 years, have lived in its culture. 
                  But even within this people, I have remained nomadic.  I have moved from Charismatic and campus fundamentalism, to conservative Presbyterianism, to the outer fringes of evangelicalism.  The entire time, there was something in me that felt out of place- like I wasn’t home, although I tried desperately to be.  I was a pastor for 20 years.  That seems like trying.
                  Now, this year, I have been shown the door by my “church family”.  I have been sent into spiritual exile (ex-communicated).  And I have come home.  When all is said and done, and a great deal has been said and done, I am more at home with my own flesh and blood.  My natural parents really were my spiritual parents.  My ministry years have turned out to be my prodigal years.
                  In the conversations I’ve had with my parents in the last two, very difficult years, I have rediscovered my spiritual heritage. I will probably end as an Episcopalian (the church of my mother’s childhood).  I have heard voices there that remind me of my ancestry.  They are kind, generous, welcoming voices.  And they, like my parents, are letting me come home."  from Steve's journals