Saturday, September 10, 2011

sin III (from steve's journal 6/6/10)

I was standing in the kitchen yesterday and my fiancee was playing some of the hymns that we love so dearly.  I was very moved by the words I heard. When I sing one hymn it is as if I am singing all the hymns at once, and something moves at the deepest part of me.

My mind drifted back over the thoughts I had about sin.  Like I said before, sin is there.  In my experience, I cannot deny its presence or its impact in almost every part of my life, in every relationship.  Call it sin, or don't call it sin.  Things are not the way they are supposed to be.

Since my earliest days as a Christian, hymns of grace and brokenness, redemption and need have been the music in my soul.  Shame and guilt stop the music.  But real repentance, and growing humility are part of the song.

"Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus.
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free."