Sunday, October 30, 2011

Uni Ball Vision Elite Pens

Steve kept  uni ball vision elite pens in his larder.  with midnight blue ink.  I am a pencil girl.  preferably a natural kind of wood and a no 2 lead.

One of the most meaningful things that has happened since Steve died, and it has happened twice now, is this:  I will be reading a book from our bookshelf.  One that was Steve's but that I gave him.  I will be reading and in 'flow' and I will be talking to Steve in my head and wishing that I could read it to him or ask him about it and then i will think, that is so silly, if this is all true then steve is already living out this idea in the fullest way.  I then turn the page to see his ink marks on the very next paragraph.  and a word.  or a squared cornered parenthesis around a passage.

Yesterday I was reading from Echoing Silence by Thomas Merton.  Here are the words that Steve had marked with his blue uni ball pen.  I can go pages and pages without any marks and then surprise....there is some spark of steve waiting for me.
      
       "But love laughs at the end of the world because love is the door to eternity and he who loves God is playing on the doorstep to eternity and , and before anything can happen love will have drawn him over the sill and closed the door and he won't bother about the world burning because he will know nothing but love." (p.13)